DIY Car Maintenance and Repair

Monday, December 11, 2006

Engine Vibrations

I changed the side engine mount on the Mazda 626. At first it seemed the vibrations went away, but after a while I noticed the vibrations again. Now I'm starting to realize the vibrations are dependent on more than just the transmission gear setting and rpm.

1. Occurs when I'm applying the brakes to hold the car at a stop and
-in D gear
-car is fully warmed up
-car has been driven for a few minutes


2. Does not occur in P or N at any rpm.
3. Does not occur when engine is cold and rpms are high even when car is stopped in D gear.

So do the other mounts (transmission and rear) need to be replaced?
Is the engine centered on the rear mount? Is the engine mispositioned on its mounts? There was a TSB.
Is the problem due to the torque converter?

To see if the problem is still due to the engine mounts, I'll warm up the car until the vibrations occur, then I'll jack up the engine/transmission a little bit to see if the vibrations go away.

1 Comments:

  • I'm having a lot of problems with my car engine at the moment, I've tried to locate the problem by myself but I'm a little concerned in case I don't diagnose the problem correctly, so I'll be taking it for a service. Many thanks for this blog though, a lot of the posts are really helpful.

    By Anonymous Peter, at 8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home